Raise your hand if you know what PSL stands for.
Now raise your hand if you are overjoyed that you can now get all sorts of things with that flavor.
Yes, I’m talking about Pumpkin Spice Latte and the myriad of pumpkin spice products available.
A quick search revealed pumpkin spice –
- candy corn
- car polish
- toilet paper
- and, yes, many varieties of pumpkin spice coffee
What makes pumpkin spice so appealing?
What makes it so successful in marketing?
For me, the scent of pumpkin spice brings up many pleasant memories of fall.
- Of Thanksgivings gathered at the table at my godparents’ home.
- Of walking down frosty lanes thick with fallen leaves.
- Of evenings by the fireplace enjoying hot cocoa and pumpkin pie.
- Of carving pumpkins both as a kid and with my kids.
- Of fun at fall festivals.
- And of childhood excitement that Christmas was just around the corner.
Let’s face it. Fall is coming!
Here in Colorado, truckers are already required to carry chains with them through the mountains. Today (Labor Day), despite the high being 94f, we are expected to cool all the way down to 57f tonight.
I am tempted to grumble about the cold weather to come. I like long warm days, not the short cold days that will soon be here.
Instead I choose to be thankful.
- For the love of family.
- For the fellowship of friends.
- For a warm, secure home.
- For food on the table.
- For the grace of God!
- And even for the taste of pumpkin spice.
Let’s choose thankfulness early this year!
What are your favorite parts of Fall?
Do you have any cherished memories that come up at the scent of pumpkin spice?
Please share your answers in the chat below or on my Facebook or Instagram posts.
And if you guessed that today’s photo was of a pumpkin spice product, you’re right.
Introducing Pumpkin Spice Moon Pies available at a Cracker Barrel near you.